Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cooking by Kevin - May 12, 2009

Today's Lunch: Chana Dal and Brown Rice with Spinach

Have you heard of Chana Dal? It's a legume or bean or something in that family. It may be a little difficult to find, but it is a great source of protein and fiber with a low glycemic index. For more details, see this writeup: http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html

However, on to the business of lunch.

Chana Dal is easy to make. I primarily treat it like rice and cook it in a covered container. It takes about 40 minutes, so it is a good companion with Brown Rice or other lentils.

1/3 cup chana dal - rinsed
1/3 cup medium grain brown rice
1/2 cup frozen spinach or frozen green peas
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp olive oil - unrefined, organic
1 1/3 cups water

Simmer about 35 minutes. You might have to add a little more water...

At the 35 minute point, I add in 1/2 cup of either frozen spinach or frozen green peas. Also add in the curry powder and cayenne (if you like it spicy), stir, and cook 5 more minutes.

Pour it out in a soup bowl and drizzle the olive oil across the top.

This creates a meal of about 500 calories with a good balance of protein, carb, fat, and some green stuff to keep you healthy.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,
I just wanted to thank you for an inspiring piece of work it makes such a nice change to read something with substance. I really enjoyed reading your blog which I came upon whilst looking for people with similar interests. Actually I was inspired by the Chana Dal recipe as I didnt know how to make it. I imagine you have travelled India. I was indeed there for 6 months.
I am a spiritual life coach working with trauma and loss after murder or manslaughter and I work from a Buddhist perspective.
I really enjoyed your work and fantastic mish mash of inspiration. I would love to follow your blog. I hope you will check mine out.

Take care

Tenzin Dasal.